BNHS TAMBAYAN
BNHS TAMBAYAN
BNHS TAMBAYAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
slacker
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_vote_lcapgender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_voting_bargender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_vote_rcap 
faery_zelle
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_vote_lcapgender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_voting_bargender confusion over "Golden Girl" I_vote_rcap 
pipoii
lheidee_lorein
luckyme124
francis
dowayt
S0ulReapper
justine
jessica
Latest topics
» Simple Globe Unlimited MMS
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 27 Oct - 3:15 by pido_capricorn

» Wal-Mart Posted in Mga SABLAY na JOKES with tags comedy, Funny, funny signs, kakatawa, kwela, palpak, pasaway, Philippines, Pinoy, pinoy signs, Sablay on March 22, 2010 by sablay
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 6 Oct - 3:42 by pipoii

» Let me just told you a story..
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 6 Oct - 3:41 by pipoii

» bagong maginoo
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyMon 20 Sep - 23:55 by el_maldito

» Free Browsing sa Globe using your mobile phones
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyMon 30 Aug - 6:18 by nerwin2010

» batch 2009-2010(feeling alumni na kami haha)
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 30 Jun - 4:13 by rhean14

» picnic ti kuppit
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 16 Jun - 6:04 by fevmartinez

» friends forever(Vitamin C)dedicated to all seniors
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 16 Jun - 6:00 by fevmartinez

» junior years
gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyWed 16 Jun - 5:55 by fevmartinez

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Poll

gender confusion over "Golden Girl"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
faery_zelle
admin
admin
faery_zelle

gender confusion over "Golden Girl" Empty
PostSubject: gender confusion over "Golden Girl"   gender confusion over "Golden Girl" EmptyThu 20 Aug - 19:49

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) – South Africa's new 800-metre world champion Caster Semenya was declared a "golden girl" by local press Thursday, with the athlete's family shrugging off questions about the runner's gender.

All major newspapers' front pages pictured a triumphant Semenya who powered to a 1minute 55.45seconds win -- the world's best this year -- shortly after the athletics governing body announced that the runner's gender was to be verified.

"She is my little girl. I raised her and I have never doubted her gender. She is a woman and I can repeat that a million times," father Jacob Semenya told the popular tabloid Sowetan which dubbed the champion "Our Golden Girl".

"For the first time South Africans have someone to be proud of and detractors are already shouting wolf. It is unfair. I wish they would leave my daughter alone."
Semenya's 80-year-old grandmother Maphuthi Sekgala told The Times that the first year sports science student had long been teased about her boyish looks and for being the only girl in her local soccer team.

"(The controversy) doesn't bother me that much because I know she's a woman -- I raised her myself," she said in her rural village in northern Limpopo province.
"She called me after (the heats) and told me that they think she's a man. What can I do when they call her a man, when she's really not a man? It is God who made her look that way."

Semenya's former high school head told the Afrikaans broadsheet Beeld the top runner had played with boys, enjoyed soccer and wore long trousers to school.

"I first realised that she was a girl in Grade 11," he said, explaining how Semenya had moved to stand with a girls team after he had divided the boys and girls for short running race.

Semenya was a total unknown a few weeks ago -- with Beeld describing her birthplace as remote and rural, with the teenager living with her grandmother while at high school and growing up without electricity or running water.

The runner's coach Michael Seme laughed off the allegations, saying the athlete fielded constant questions about whether she was a boy from younger athletes when training.
"Then she has to explain that she can't help the fact that her voice is so gruff and that she really is a girl. The remarkable thing is that Caster remains completely calm and never loses her dignity when she is questioned about her gender," Seme told the newspaper.
Semenya had been "crudely humiliated" a few times and the closest Seme said he had seen her to anger was earlier this year when some people wanted her barred from using the ladies restroom.

"Then Caster said: 'Do you want me to pull down my pants that you can see. Those same people came to her later and said they were extremely sorry."
Back to top Go down

gender confusion over "Golden Girl"
Page 1 of 1